I’ve been working hard in-between distractions, cat’s claws and a burn to make three types of beaded cycles. For Videos visit my insta page @DelicatebyLou
you can find out about other bead turning machines at the CGB blog and in their third book when it is released.
The first one I made with the help of a youtube video by Bead Mechanics (link below) was this beaded mobius square kaleidocycle, or as I like to call it the twisting streamer. You wouldn’t think that it would work but it dose and I could play with it for hours, if I wasn’t always busy with getting projects done. The hardest part of this project was picking the colours. So far it is the simplest beaded turning machine that I have come across.
And my second beaded toy was a mini kaleidocycle, colour scheme provided by my housemate (the human one). Why I decided to make a small one first is beyond me but it worked out so all is well. With the help of youtube again, this time the Kate McKinnon’s CGB videos on kaleidocycles and visits to the CGB blog, links below. The thrid one I made was just a bigger version of this in the very same colours and patterns, although in a slightly different arrangement. Personally the larger one sits better and is generally more pleasing.
Now the last turning machine I went out of my way to make for this post was the batcycle, which there is no tutorial for. But that’s fine with a few pointers from Kate I gave it a go and winged it. its all black and gold mostly because I was winging it and didn’t want to do anything to fancy incase I messed it up somehow. This afternoon it took longer than it should have as I burned my hand when cooking lunch which put a spanner in the works. I’m glad that I gave the batcycle a go as I have already started one experiment with the warped hexagons and have a second in the wings with some partially formed ideas. It will be interesting to see how my first experiment turns out given that my first thought of what I was going to do with it didn’t work out number wise. I have the option of adding in one more point making the gaps almost invisible sable or adding in some more and going from there, or I could just make a second and do both. Anyway more about this project later. I shall also be posting about a new dress I’ve been working on that actually started from a failed attempt at a pointed crown. Just because something didn’t work how you wanted it to doesn’t mean that you cant use it.
All the best Lou and Gigi.